From the experts at Salt Box Nursery
As we navigate the pinnacle of summer, our gardens erupt with bold colors, mesmerizing aromas, and the busy rustle of industrious pollinators. The time and care we’ve given our gardens since the onset of spring now materialize as diverse, vibrant landscapes. While July provides an opportunity to savor the splendor of our gardens, it’s also a period filled with important tasks to ensure our gardens sustain their allure and vitality for the rest of the season. At Salt Box Nursery, we’ve compiled a list of crucial mid-summer gardening tasks.
1. Make Hydration a Priority Summer’s intense heat necessitates proper watering. Aim to water your plants early in the morning to limit evaporation and help stave off plant diseases. A drip irrigation system can offer an efficient and water-saving strategy to keep your plants well-hydrated.
2. Wage War on Weeds The generous sunlight and frequent watering that characterize summer can trigger a quick sprouting of weeds if unchecked. Regular hoeing and hand-weeding can control these unwelcome intruders by preventing them from seeding. A substantial layer of mulch can also help curb weed growth and protect plant roots from overheating.
3. Care for Your Summer-Flowering Shrubs After your summer-flowering shrubs, such as hydrangeas and spireas, have bloomed, a good pruning session is due. This helps to stimulate healthy growth and ensures a stunning floral display in the year to come.
4. Stay on Top of Deadheading Removing spent blooms from your flowers on a consistent basis not only helps maintain a neat appearance but also redirects the plant’s energy towards producing more flowers instead of seeds.
5. Keep Harvesting Regular If you’re growing fruits and vegetables, bear in mind that regular harvesting can boost plant productivity. Whether it’s beans or zucchinis, berries or tomatoes, ensure you pick your produce as soon as it’s ripe to stimulate more growth.
6. Monitor for Pests and Diseases Maintain a lookout for any signs of pests and diseases. From Japanese beetles to powdery mildew, summer pests and diseases can escalate quickly if not managed promptly. Try to use environmentally friendly solutions whenever possible, and remember, a robust plant is your strongest defense against pests and diseases.
7. Plan for Fall While it may seem too soon, July is an excellent time to start planning for your fall garden. Kick-start this process by ordering your fall bulbs and seeds, and consider sowing fall crops such as kale and cabbage towards the month’s end.
8. Nurture Your Plants At this stage of rapid growth, plants are consuming a significant amount of nutrients. Support them by applying a slow-release granular fertilizer or providing regular liquid feedings.
9. Enjoy Your Garden Don’t forget to pause and relish in your garden’s beauty. Be it relaxing with a cool drink, throwing a delightful summer barbecue, or simply meandering through your thriving plants, remember that the delight of gardening is as crucial as the work involved.
The team at Salt Box Nursery is always ready to cater to your gardening needs. Whether you’re seeking tools, plants, or expert advice, we’re committed to aiding your July garden in reaching its fullest potential. Here’s to the joy of July and the magic of summer gardening in your own delightful retreat!