When the summer sun blazes overhead, finding shade in your garden becomes a top priority. Thankfully, Salt Box Nursery has the perfect shade solutions to help you create a cool and inviting oasis right in your own New England backyard. From vibrant annuals to exotic tropicals and enduring perennials, we offer a wide range of plants that thrive in New England’s summer heat while providing much-needed shade and beauty.
Annual Plants for Shade:
- Begonias: With their lush foliage and stunning blooms, begonias are a popular choice for shaded areas. Fibrous begonias (Begonia semperflorens) and tuberous begonias (Begonia x tuberhybrida) are both excellent options that can handle the summer heat while providing a burst of color to your garden. Their wide range of colors, including vibrant reds, pinks, and whites, will brighten up any shady spot.
- Impatiens: Known for their ability to thrive in shade, impatiens (Impatiens walleriana) are a classic choice for adding color to your summer garden. These low-maintenance annuals come in a variety of shades, from soft pastels to bold jewel tones, making it easy to create a vibrant and eye-catching display. They bloom profusely throughout the season, even in areas with limited sunlight.
- Caladiums: Add a touch of exotic beauty to your annual shade garden with caladiums (Caladium bicolor). These tropical plants feature stunning heart-shaped leaves in vibrant shades of green, pink, red, and white. They thrive in partial shade and bring a splash of color and drama to your garden.
Perennial Favorites for Shade:
- Hostas: Known for their impressive foliage, hostas (Hosta spp.) are a go-to choice for shady areas in New England gardens. These hardy perennials offer a wide range of leaf sizes, shapes, and colors, from deep greens to variegated patterns. They not only provide shade but also add texture and visual interest to your garden.
- Coral Bells (Heuchera spp.): Coral bells are shade-loving perennials known for their colorful foliage. They come in a variety of shades, including green, burgundy, and silver. The delicate bell-shaped flowers on tall stems add an extra touch of beauty. Heuchera is a fantastic choice for adding pops of color to your garden.
- Astilbes: With their feathery plumes of flowers in shades of pink, red, and white, astilbes (Astilbe spp.) bring elegance and beauty to shaded areas. These perennial plants thrive in moist, well-drained soil and can handle the heat of the New England summer while adding a touch of softness to your garden.
Creating a shaded oasis in your summer garden is not only aesthetically pleasing but also provides a cool and comfortable space to relax and unwind. The annual plants, such as begonias, impatiens, and caladiums, offer vibrant colors and continuous blooms. Meanwhile, perennial favorites like hostas, coral bells, and astilbes provide enduring beauty and texture.
When selecting plants for your New England garden, it’s essential to consider the specific requirements of each variety and the unique conditions in your region. Be sure to provide adequate water and maintain suitable soil conditions to keep these shade-loving plants healthy and thriving throughout the summer months.
Visit Salt Box Nursery to explore our extensive collection of shade-loving plants, including begonias, impatiens, caladiums, hostas, coral bells, and astilbes. Our knowledgeable staff will be delighted to assist you in selecting the perfect plants for yoursummer garden, ensuring a cool and inviting sanctuary even in the hottest months.